• Project name: Gender equality in strengthening union actions.
• Implemented by SERNAM Chile
• Geographical scope: Chile, Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Uruguay, Cuba, Panama, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Honduras y Argentina
• Amount assigned: 106.200 USD
• Implementation period: 2015 – 2016
• Work track: 2 / Chilean public institution
There is a virtuous relation between strengthening union actions and eradicating social and economic inequality in the country. Social and economic inequality affects men and women unequally. The poverty figures for Latin America and the Caribbean in 2014 show that 28 % of the population lives in poverty (ECLAC, 2014), and that on average women are poorer than men.
The aim of the project is to form a network of unions in Latin America and the Caribbean which are committed to gender equality and prepared to participate actively and hold dialogue with companies which are developing, or wish to initiate, gender equality certification processes.
The object is to facilitate dialogue and exchange between the unions of public and private organizations and public institutions (women’s organizations, etc.) in Latin America and the Caribbean on progress, challenges, lessons learnt and inspirational experiences favouring gender equality in union actions, related to the access of women to, and their development and permanence in the paid employment market.